The portraits of Dr. Philip Maxwell, for whom Chicago’s Maxwell Street is named, and his wife Jerusha are presented at St. Ignatius College Prep inside the school’s newly remodeled Main Entry that fronts the original Maxwell Street neighborhood.
On loan to St. Ignatius College Prep from the Foundation through next Fall, the oil on panel paintings are believed to be the wedding portraits of the Maxwells who married in 1822. They are attributed to portraitist Abraham G.D. Tuthill (1776-1843) who studied with noted artist Benjamin West. A generous gift from the Richard H. Driehaus Charitable Lead Trust, and Dr. Samuel and Mrs. Wexler provided for the conservation and frame repair for the portraits. A generous gift from St. Ignatius College Prep has provided for the archival glazing for the portraits. The portraits were donated to the Foundation by Ms. Leslie Evans in 2010, a fifth generation descendant of the Maxwells.
St. Ignatius College Prep is located at 1076 W. Roosevelt Rd. Call (312) 421-5900 about access to view the portraits. A viewing event is planned for early September. Please contact the Maxwell Street Foundation at gro.n1594337943oitad1594337943nuoft1594337943eerts1594337943llewx1594337943am@of1594337943ni1594337943 to learn about the these special portraits, or to learn more about the upcoming viewing in September.