The mission and purpose of the Maxwell Street Foundation is to preserve and interpret the history of Chicago’s Maxwell Street neighborhood for future generations through public programs and special events.
Beginning in 1993, one year before the historic Maxwell Street Market was moved from the location it had occupied since 1912, future Foundation members advocated alternatives to the removal of Maxwell Street residents, businesses and buildings as the University of Illinois at Chicago cleared the area for its south campus expansion.
Working first as the Maxwell Street Museum Project, a not-for-profit Illinois corporation organized by members in 1996, and then as the Maxwell Street Historic Preservation Coalition in 1998, the organization worked tirelessly to preserve the built fabric of the street and support the preservation of its history.
Ultimately, their influence succeeded in preserving eight buildings and one façade for adaptive re-use and the dismantling and relocation of twelve facades in the University’s redevelopment plan. The organization then turned its focus to the history of Maxwell Street and began to produce materials to interpret the history for a variety of audiences through books, film, theater, museum exhibitions and more. In 2004, the organization became the Maxwell Street Foundation.
In 2005, the Maxwell Street Foundation produced a limited edition portfolio of Maxwell Street photographs by 11 Chicago photographers, spanning an era from 1937 to 2000. Please see the Maxwell Street Collection Limited Edition portfolio, here.
The Maxwell Street Foundation is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization and contributions are tax deductible.